Friday, February 25, 2011

"You are just a kid!"

When I was four,
My three sisters were sixteen, eighteen, and nineteen.
While I walked around like a tomboy with dirt on my face,
My three sisters gracefully floated in their dresses
They got stylish hairdos and were always surrounded by friends.
I looked up to my sisters wishing to be one of them
And wondered if I’d ever grow up
I asked if I could try their high heels on my tiny feet
They shook their heads and said:
“ No, you are just a kid!”

When I was eight,
My three sisters were-twenty, twenty-two, and twenty-three.
While I still believed in Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy,
My three sisters looked for their Princes, started dating and fell in love.
When I asked them if I could use their makeup to color my cheeks
They shook their heads and said:
“ No, you are just a kid”

When I was fourteen,
My three sisters were twenty- six, twenty- eight, and twenty- nine.
Things were going just fine.
But all of a sudden, I began to have my period.
While puberty made my life chaos,
My three sisters found their men and got married.
They left our house, built their own nests, and had children.
I felt lonely and needed companions.
When I asked them if it was okay for me to go out with the boy down the street
They shook their heads and said:
“No, you are just a kid!”

When I was nineteen,
My three sisters were thirty one, thirty three, and thirty four.
I had my freedom and dreams of adventures.
While I could spread my wings like a phoenix
My three sisters tied themselves to their families like trapped birds.
But then I thought it would be nice to have a husband
Together we could reach the unlimited horizon

So I asked my sisters if I could wed
A guy who would cook for me, massage me, and give lots of kisses
They shook their heads and said:
“No, you are just a kid!”

Time flew
Each of us went through different stages of life
Happy moments
Time of challenge
I was always earger to grow up
Until one day wrinkles showed on my face!
Oh it was time for me to slow down my pace…

Then it came my turn to be forty eight,
My three sisters were sixty, sixty- two, and sixty- four.
While I started having symptoms of pre-menopause and struggled with my mid-life crisis,
My three sisters already had arthritis and poor vision
While they felt grateful and looked good in gray hair,
I searched, searched, and searched…for the most effective skin care.
And could not stand the idea of losing my beauty and my youth!
When I asked if I should have cosmetic surgery that would make me a big hit
They laughed, shook their heads and said:
“No, you are just a kid!”

-----------------

Thank you, mother, for leaving me my three sisters when you went to heaven,
Who always have answers to my silly questions.

Cammy

No comments: